It’s that time of year to break out the Kosher for Passover recipes! Let’s get chocolatey with this decadent chocolate layer cake with a macaroon crust.
10 oz. Manischewitz Macaroons, crumbled
6 large eggs
1 cup Manischewitz Passover Cake Meal
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/175C. For the macaroon base, crumble the macaroons into a greased 9-inch cake round. Press the macaroons into the bottom of the pan using the back of a measuring cup.
2. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Flip the crust onto a cooling rack and set aside.
4. Grease two 9-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
5. In a large bowl, whisk 6 eggs. Add the cake meal, sugar and cinnamon. Mix until smooth.
6. Add the melted butter and chocolate. Mix.
7. Pour into the prepared baking pans.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, or into an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes. Cover each cake with a plate, then flip over. The cake should easily drop down onto the plate with the help of a little jiggle.
10. For the frosting, in a pot on low heat, bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Remove from heat then add to a bowl with the 8 oz. of chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth and a little fluffy.
11. To layer the cake, start by spreading some of the frosting onto the macaroon crust. Add the first layer of cake on top. Then spread frosting. Then the last layer of cake. And lastly, spread the remaining frosting all around the cake. Garnish with macaroons and strawberries (for that splash of color!). Refrigerate until serving.