Ingredients (Makes 30 rugelach)
For the dough
1 egg + 1 more for basting
1/4 cup melted butter (or canola oil)
1/3 cup warm milk (or water)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup flour
For the filling
3 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter, softened (or canola oil)
For the syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1. In a bag, add one egg, melted butter, milk, vanilla, yeast, sugar, salt and flour. Squish and knead the bag for 5-10 minutes until the dough is evenly mixed. Kids are especially good at this step.
2. Place the bag in a bowl of very warm water for 45 minutes or until dough doubles in size. You can add more warm water if it gets cold.
3. Preheat oven to 350F/ 175C. Time to make the filling. Mix the honey, cocoa powder and softened butter in a bowl. If the butter is too hard, you can melt it. *If you melt it, stick it in the refrigerator before you spread it on the dough.
4.Separate the dough into 3 even balls. Sprinkle with a little bit of flour. Roll out each ball, flipping and stretching until the dough is super thin. Place a plate on the dough and cut around it so you have a circle.
5. Spread a layer of filling on the dough. Cut into 8 slices, like a pizza. Separate each slice and roll tightly. *You need to separate the slices so they don’t get covered in chocolate on the outside from the other slices. Place each rugelach on a non-stick baking tray.
6. Brush with a beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the glaze by adding the water to a saucepan on medium heat. Then add the sugar and stir until the sugar melts. Simmer for 1 minute. When the rugelach are done baking, scoop the glaze onto the rugelach while they are still hot. The rugelach soak up the delicious glaze.